Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 16 lesson

Let me first say that you know you are doing a good job detaching yourself from "modern technology" when you realize that every moment you had the time to seriously contemplate writing in your blog, you didn't have internet access or a computer close by. (I'm looking for the positive side.)

Speaking on the positive side... last Friday's lesson with HLS had many positive sides! I was able to get her to practice with a metronome - something that had previously been a frustrating and subsequently neglected endeavor. And she stuck to it every day! Her rhythm and fluidity in her finger technique (one of our ongoing projects this semester) improved greatly, and she was able to make the connection between her progress and the tools she used to get there. Another step towards learning effective and efficient practice habits: check.

However, this lesson was a personal struggle for me. I am not the kind of person who likes to sit and talk everything to death, but I do like verbal communication - and after watching some lesson footage I have realized that sometimes I like to talk too much. And I suspect that moments when I talk a lot are when I am trying to give my mind the space to figure out what needs to happen next. With time and experience this won't happen as much (I hope!), but in the mean time it's frustrating. So I tried to be aware of when I was slipping into this "talk while I think" mode and not let it happen, and by the end of the lesson I felt like I didn't succeed at connecting with HLS and what she needed me to help her with in our hour together. Every week we aren't going to solve every problem, but I felt like I was creating more problems than I was finding solutions this time around.

Ho hum. I do have some video to post on here.... eventually. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment